Friday Herald delivery unlikely

Most subscribers will not receive a print edition of Friday's Grand Forks Herald, a decision the newspaper's publisher made Thursday amid state-issued no-travel advisories and road closures in North Dakota and northwest Minnesota.
The iconic tower of the Grand Forks Herald. (photo by Jenna Watson/Grand Forks Herald)

Most subscribers will not receive a print edition of Friday's Grand Forks Herald, a decision the newspaper's publisher made Thursday amid state-issued no-travel advisories and road closures in North Dakota and northwest Minnesota.

The state Department of Transportation closed Interstate 29 between Grand Forks and the South Dakota border Thursday; the road was not expected to open until at least late evening. Also, the DOT issued a no-travel advisory Wednesday afternoon throughout the region, due to heavy snow and high winds. Temperatures during the day dipped below zero, exacerbating conditions.

The Minnesota Department of Transportation made similar announcements Thursday.

Publisher Korrie Wenzel said the state's closure of I-29 clinched the decision. It's the second time in recent weeks the Herald's regular delivery schedule has been affected by inclement weather.

"I just cannot, in good conscience, send drivers out in these conditions when I know the state has issued no-travel advisories and has closed the interstates," Wenzel said. "I know it's frustrating and I really do appreciate that. But in these conditions, if anything goes wrong, it could have terrible consequences."

He said that subscribers who do not receive a Friday edition will receive their Friday paper with Saturday's delivery.

Wenzel said the newspaper's recent move to print in Fargo is only part of the problem when bad weather occurs. Since the Herald has such a large circulation area, many drivers are required to take the papers from Grand Forks outward. Also, numerous routes-including in-town routes-are now delivered by car.

Readers are encouraged to check out the Herald's e-edition, which will be opened for all access throughout the day. Subscribers and non-subscribers alike will be able to access the e-edition.

Click here to access the e-edition: http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODN/GrandForksHerald/Default.aspx